Friday, August 17, 2007

walking aimless

dave's in Maine till tomorrow. He's been gone for a week... its so wierd to be here alone. It's not even like I feel very lonley. It's wierd here because you're so constantly surrounded by people and things and noises that you don't feel alone. But I guess that would be different if I didn't have a guy coming back home to me. I have done basically a whole lot of nothing this week. I walked a lot. I walked through my neighborhood into this awesome neighborhood called Fort Greene. It's super diverse there - every race is there kicking it in rad restaurants and bars. Then I walked back down Atlantic Ave and there's this amazing cupcake bakery there where the cupcakes are just about the size of your face. Then over into a really wealthy part of brooklyn called Brooklyn Heights. There's these huge old mansion brownstones and trees and gardens and they sit along the water. Then the next day I went into Manhattan and walked up in Gramercy Park to look at this couch we're thinking about buying. We had this shitty experience wtih russian movers and now I'm all sensitive to russian intensity. Once I went into the shop and the Russian sales dude with a chin strap and pony tale started semi-yelling at me about buying the couch, I went into defense mode and ran out.
Akiva and I met up and I ate the bomb bagel and lox here:


and i watched this french film called Dans Paris at the IFC. It was good.... made me feel like I should probably live in Paris for a little while. This is not a new idea. I'll hopefully get there in a few years. There's this new series they're doing at the IFC next week called the New Talkies. I dunno... its this "new" wave of young filmmakers that use like zero money on their budgets and make really self conscious twenty-something films about 'coming of age' and work and relationships and stuff. It's totally a good subject and I actually like the sensibility and the look of the films. I just feel like the people making the films remind me of the same kids who dominated the editing rooms and theaters and stuff back in college. They're not quite gamers or thespians, thats harsh, but they're totally liberal art school nerdy white kids. Thats not a bad thing... I can't really explain what it is about them that bugs me. Maybe its partially that there isn't any diversity in their filmmaking. There doesn't have to be ... WHATEVER. here's the trailer for one of them that looks ok.


Tonite, maybe bbq at schuylers... I'm not sure. I'm ready for dave to be back. Everything is still in boxes ... transitional limbo continues.

No comments: