Tuesday, November 6, 2007

the analogy of contrary

yesterday, we went to MOMA for the first time since we've moved here. There are certain moments where I become incredibly excited when I remember I live here. Its a feeling of endless possiblities and endless things to do. Thinking back to like 3 years ago when I just thought about NY as a far off notion, I had this incredible fear that I would be beyond broke, living terribly in some horrendous, loud apartment. I guess I just was scared of moving to such a huge and overwhelming place. So far, I have yet to be overwhelmed in a negative way. Every type of person lives here. Every type of artist lives here. You could go 12 blocks and be in a totally different world. anyways, i've had some days off recently and i've been able to appreciate everything a little more. dave and i walk for hours and find new places and see new people and things every corner we turn.

Seurat is on exhibition at the MOMA. I've loved his drawings for a long time. His tiny dots make up an environment where the subjects and the background move in and out of each other. they look like high contrast film stills from afar and molecular biology up close.below are a couple of nice ones, but nothing like the exhibit. google searches didnt render much.




seurat said...

Art is harmony. Harmony is the analogy of contrary and of similar elements of tone, of color and of line, conditioned by the dominate key, and under the influence of a particular light, in gay, calm, or sad combinations.

No comments: